Swift is a first-of-its-kind multi-wavelength observatory dedicated to the study of gamma-ray burst (GRB) science. Its three instruments work together to observe GRBs and afterglows in the gamma-ray, X-ray, ultraviolet, and optical wavebands. The main mission objectives for Swift are to:
- Determine the origin of gamma-ray bursts.
- Classify gamma-ray bursts and search for new types.
- Determine how the burst evolves and interacts with the surroundings.
- Use gamma-ray bursts to study the early universe.
- Perform the first sensitive hard X-ray survey of the sky.
SwRI Faculty Involvement